Nightmare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Falling Snow
Weekly news
We want to hear from you! Go to the 'General' section and say what you want to say. Start a new topic if you wish.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 285 on Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:07 pm
Latest topics
» The Missing Constellation
Metagross opinions EmptyWed Jun 13, 2018 5:44 am by Evan

» y helo, it is i, tito
Metagross opinions EmptyWed Jun 13, 2018 5:44 am by Evan

» Sup, I'm Evan.
Metagross opinions EmptyWed Jun 13, 2018 5:26 am by Evan

» I am the best waifu.
Metagross opinions EmptySun Sep 04, 2016 1:26 am by MasterDudex5

» add me on skype and read me complain about random desu.
Metagross opinions EmptySun Sep 04, 2016 12:46 am by MasterDudex5

» Spam Posting/Reviving Dead Threads
Metagross opinions EmptySun Sep 04, 2016 12:06 am by L

» What Movie Does Nightmare Want to Watch This Spring?
Metagross opinions EmptySun Jun 12, 2016 5:36 pm by L

» You know what to do if it happens.
Metagross opinions EmptySun Jun 12, 2016 5:34 pm by L

» STR8 IS BACK
Metagross opinions EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 8:02 pm by Luck

Statistics
We have 490 registered users
The newest registered user is Poisonberries

Our users have posted a total of 15531 messages in 1327 subjects
Our awesome Affiliates!
Metagross opinions 5402057060_8f64daaa27_o Metagross opinions Nightmare Metagross opinions Sb10 Metagross opinions 21o6g49

Metagross opinions

4 posters

Go down

Metagross opinions Empty Metagross opinions

Post by Frashu Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:53 pm

I was reading a few articles about Metagross and what it seems to be is that Metagross isn't any good anymore and it's too outclassed to be used in standard OU competitively.

Metagross opinions 376

"Weather and the lack of a "lead metagame." No, really, that's about it. Without a lead metagame, Metagross doesn't have that niche to fill. On top of this, Metagross doesn't work well with or against weather. Against sun teams, it gets roasted by the common Fire-type moves that that archetype runs, and against rain, it simply doesn't have the Special Defense to tank Hydro Pumps or Scalds. It's not as bad against sand, but it's not great either. It's actually good against hail, but that's not nearly common enough to justify its use over a more useful Steel-type like say... Scizor or Jirachi (the latter of which incidentally has the same typing, better bulk, and a much broader movepool)." -Article on Pokemon you shouldn't use

I actually love using Metagross due to being strong as a starter Pokemon in the battle and how it can set-up Stealth Rocks and revenge kill Outraging Dragons with Ice Punch.

I'd honestly agree with a small change or move-pool buff if it were possible, but I'm not sure if that makes him unusuable.

Thoughts?
Frashu
Frashu
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Metagross opinions Empty Re: Metagross opinions

Post by buckthefuffalo Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:12 pm

Metagross himself is fine. He was just fine in OU until weather became the metagame. I know I just sound like I hate on weather for no reason, but this is seriously one of the big reasons he isn't viable, as said in the article. More coverage with an upgraded movepool would be nice, but would have little effect since he still takes huge amounts of damage from Sun-boosted fire moves and a good chunk from rain-boosted moves.

I guess you could invest heavily in Special Defense if you really wanted, but the effect would probably be barely noticeable.
buckthefuffalo
buckthefuffalo
Dream
Dream

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:31 pm

Buck is right. Weather isn't in the metagame.

Weather IS the metagame.

That being said, it is true that Metagross itself is good. It's a good overall Pokemon. However, Metagross is not viable in general. It does have the ability to break through common walls like Gliscor. Yet, it must sacrifice Speed for Attack power. And that makes it hard for him to stay in on common boosters and hitters.

In addition, I have found that Metagross is much like Gengar (too OP, btw). Unless his team is based around supporting him to an extent, he is dead weight. He doesn't function well as a typical sweeper (nothing like Lucario or Dragonite, who have both coverage, viable typing, and powerful priority). If Metagross had something like Technician for his abilities, he could be more viable. On the other hand, he could also get by as a great user of Moxie or Intimidate.
Aaron
Aaron
Dream
Dream

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynjabear Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:00 pm

I haven't found metagross too useful on my teams because he either doesn't have enough raw power, or doesn't have good enough boosting moves. The lack of recovery really puts the nail in the coffin. In Gen 4 one of his main selling points was a not-so-bad attack stat in conjunction with a nice BST, but now he's pretty much outclassed by ferrothorn in that regard. The nerf to explosion was also pretty disappointing.
Lynjabear
Lynjabear
Dream
Dream

http:// [scroll][img]https://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j375/wa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down